Monday, February 14, 2011

MJ and The Age 50 Comeback

I admit it. I'm a sucker for 1990s nostalgia.

In 1992 the Portland Trail Blazers played the Chicago Bulls in the NBA finals. My dad recorded Game 2 for one reason or another, so we had one piece of MJ-in-action in the house. Over the next couple of years I proceeded to watch that game at least one hundred times. At this point I was in the infancy of my basketball interest, but it was also a part of my long peak of interest. During the summer, if I wasn't watching that tape or a live game on TV, I was playing basketball. When March Madness fell on my school's spring break, if I wasn't watching a live game, I was playing basketball. Clearly I love watching and playing the game, and seeing Michael Jordan dismantle my beloved Blazers was the catalyst.

When Michael Jordan was inducted in to the Basketball Hall of Fame he famously hinted at the fact that he may try a comeback at age 50. He's now 48 years old and reportedly practiced with the Charlotte Bobcats (for which he is the majority owner) last week. Though he'd have to sell off his shares before being allowed to play - no small feat in itself - all indication are that the skills and fitness are still there. There are many who wonder if such a comeback would be worthwhile, or if a failure at a comeback would somehow tarnish MJ's legacy. I have my own opinions on this, but no one can say for certain. Once thing is certain, though, if Michael Jordan did make a comeback, I would watch every game. This coming from someone who sees maybe three full NBA games each year (I got rid of TV some time ago, so now I follow online and through highlights).

There's another factor that plays in to all this, and that is the "MJ and Son" factor. Many remember the magical 1990 season in which Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey Jr. played together on the Seattle Mariners. How great would it be if Michal and Jeffery Jordan teamed up on the Charlotte Bobcats? And chew on this, since we're talking about father/son combos: There have been a number of fathers and sons who have both played in the NBA (though none at the same time). How many points would Jeffery Jordan have to score for he and MJ to take over as the father/son combination with the most career points scored in the NBA? The answer is zero - he's just have to play in a game, and wouldn't have to actually score. Now this is more a Jeffery Jordan story, granted, but it speaks to MJ's greatness and the fact that I have no doubt he could successfully and effectively play in the NBA for 10,15 or maybe even 20 or more games at age 50. And believe me, it would be entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment